Thursday, November 29, 2012

NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth

I AM SO SORRY FOR BEING A HORRIBLE BLOGGER!

I have no excuse for the summer months or September or October.
I have a REALLY good excuse for not blogging in November, though!
Wanna know what it is?

….

...I'm going to tell you...


National Novel Writing Month (Usually shortened to NaNoWriMo)

Everybody always asks me what it is. So When they do next time, instead of explaining myself, I can just give them the web address and they can read this.

NaNoWriMo is the month in which you attempt to write 50,000 words in 30 days.

Sound easy?

It's REALLY not.


Days 1-5 are usually spent in writer's-block-free bliss. Tra-la-la, everything's going well and then-

SMACK

Days 6-12: Pound your head on the keyboard because whatever comes up on the screen has GOT to be better than anything that may pop into your head. You feel like maybe getting your little brothers or a monkey to type because YOU ARE STUCK. Your story is dead, you're writing Mary Sues and you HAVE to get in your 1,667 word count in for the day so you can go and deal with pre-holiday food shopping with your mother/aunt/grandmother/ etc.

13-21: Your story line is ending, you cannot drag this on without compromising the integrity of your story. But wait? What was that? A laundromat run by ghosts? I think I'll use that! (Purely fictional, I chose a homeless shelter run by a cantankerous old Irish witch and her two mischievous sons instead of the laundromat, but whatever works)
HALLELUJAH! It works! You'll live on to write the rest!

And by day 23, I was done. (Thank God!)

*Sidenote* My final days on the previous years were usually spent writing obscenely long epilogues and prologues. I just got to that a bit quicker this year...

This is my third year doing this program. I am by no means a seasoned veteran (Nano has been going on since the nineties), and usually, I STILL have no clue what I'm doing.

But it's simple. You write. And believe me, it's probably gonna be crappy, but it's ok. It's a first draft, and you did it. You got your story out onto paper. Go you! Now you have pride and bragging rights (And some pretty awesome web badges)

Whoever is reading this and has ever done NaNoWriMo, BOOYAH! I'll see you next year!
And if anybody is reading this who has a story stuck in their noggin, get it down! You won't regret it. Even if it's not NaNoWrimo, go write a page a day. DO IT NOW *in a poor Arnold Schwarzenegger voice*
Yes, I just quoted Predator. Nerd girl, over here! *waves hands maniacally*

So yeah, now I have to stop typing and go back to nursing my poor carpal nerves.

DFTBA!

Gail




No comments:

Post a Comment